Murray Lincoln's Desk - # 2 Now See - http://murraylincoln.blogspot.com/

Monday, April 14, 2008

Celebrating SOUTHSIDE

In the audience was an unusual mix of people as I stepped up to the pulpit to speak – yesterday at Southside Pentecostal Church in Regina. In front of me were close friends that I have known for many years…mixed with people that I was just meeting.

I was again in the pulpit that I used to preach in as the pastor of Southside Pentecostal Assembly. I was almost overwhelmed with the emotions I was feeling for these special folk.

Now add two more former pastors to the audience and WOW – there were many feelings! Wendy Saunders (her husband is Rev. David Saunders) and her family were visiting as well as Rev. Calvin King and his wife Diane. These ‘old friends’ made the day.

The best part for me was meeting the new pastor, Rev. Robert Thompson and his family. This man is unique and fits like a glove with this church. It was a delight to meet him and his family.

Some will not understand the emotions that a former, visiting pastor(me) has when they return to the church they once served. All of the stories, all of the joys, all of the fears, all of the victories of the congregation that you once knew so very well – swept to the forefront and flood your thoughts. Mixed with that were my thoughts about the other two pastors in the audience – that I am sure had many thoughts as well.

Let me explain further…
The church building we were sitting in yesterday was not the only one that we all knew.

Rev. Calvin King had been the pastor when Southside built its new building on the south end of the city of Regina. The first phases of the wonderful new church were built and served the congregation well.

Rev. David Saunders had followed the Kings as the next pastor of Southside. It was during the Saunder’s ministry at Southside that the vandals had broken into the new Southside building and set the place on fire. The first fire was put out – but then it was relit by the same vandals and the entire building was burned to the ground.

The Saunders led the church through the next years as they bought the present building and then carried out many renovations.

Today the old school that has become the church’s home…has been completely renovated under the leadership of Rev. Wes Dyna. Now Rev. Robert Thompson is the new leader.

Yesterday…
To have the two pastors that once were in such huge transition times in the same church – at the same time – after all these years….was …simply amazing. Add to that the new pastor… and WOW!

I was flooded with emotions.

Let me say it again – Southside Pentecostal Assembly at 41 Birchwood Road in Regina, Saskatchewan is a GREAT CHURCH. It is a jewel that will be used to reach its community with love and care. Now its new local name that is catching hold is “The SPA”. Check out their Web Site at the end of this posting.

The Tomorrows…
Pastor Robert you are the MAN for THIS HOUR. There is no one that will pray for you more than ME. I know your task at hand. I perceive your ability and see your care. Nothing but good stuff will come from this special ministry that you and Carolyn will provide here.

~ Pastor Murray Lincoln ~

PS – YIKES… now add one more emotional happening to yesterday – it was my 64th Birthday – I now have 52 Sundays left until my Retirement…whatever that means… oh boy time is flying by too fast….

http://www.sparegina.com/

The Thompson Family

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home