Murray Lincoln's Desk - # 2 Now See - http://murraylincoln.blogspot.com/

Monday, June 02, 2008

The Interview with the Funeral Director

By Bruce Lindsay

It was a couple of hours before the funeral. But most of the family members were there. We set up all the photos and finalized the last details. After that, I gave them some private family time with ‘Grandma’. I went into the lobby and glanced at some of the family photos. Then something caught my eye.

It was a book called All About Grandma. I picked it up and was instantly hooked. It was a scrapbook with questions written for a Grandma to answer. Questions like: Did you like School? Her answer was, that she liked school, but she didn’t like Ron (I’ve forgotten the last name) who sat in front of her. She would do all her homework on her slate, but he would turn around and scribble all over her slate. The teacher would make her take her work home and do it all over again.

Other questions were: What was your favorite subject? How did you meet Grandpa? Where did you go on your honeymoon? What are you most proud of about each of your children?

This dear woman had thoughtfully answered each question in great detail. A priceless record for everyone, about many fun and important, but less known aspects of her life. I learned so much about her and what her life was like in the old days. What a treasure for her grandchildren and great-grandchildren, and me!

In my own life, I’ve recently done something similar. My son, Clifford, had a school English project in which he had to interview someone he admires. (Now I don’t expect that he actually chose me because he admires me. Rather, I think it’s that he’s a busy guy and he knew that he could just write down his questions for me and get them answered before the due date.) His questions were: Where were you born? What is your favourite memory? What was the biggest disappointment of your life? What is most important in your life? Why did you decide to be a funeral director? Who are 2 people who influenced you the most and how? And about 10 others.

We actually had a lot of fun with it, and in the end, I think my son learned some new things about me. Some themes came out through those questions and answers. Namely, that if you work hard, you can do whatever you choose and you will be successful, and once you decide what’s important in life, you can live a purpose filled life. Oh, and of course, I love you Clifford.

In fact, the same themes came through in the All About Grandma book. Through the whole book, you could read the message to the grandchildren between the lines – I love you.

We’re very fortunate to have a Heavenly Father who has left us a book to read with a similar message. It gives us information about how things were in the old days, but more than that, He shares his favorite memories, His disappointments and His victories. He also gives us direction and encouragement, but through it all, there is that same theme. I love you.

I’d bet that everyone who reads this knows about the Bible, and I'd expect you have heard it referred to as God’s Love Letter before. Please take this as a gentle reminder that it is there for us to read, again.

Bruce

1 Comments:

  • I have a new view of the Bible.
    Thanks Bruce.
    I will read the Bible in a new light.
    Terry

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home