Murray Lincoln's Desk - # 2 Now See - http://murraylincoln.blogspot.com/

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Old Ladies On Street Cars

It was a Holiday for Alida and me yesterday…trying to use up vacation days before we finish our tasks at Northview. So off to Toronto we went to hear our nephew present his First Recital for his Doctrinal Studies in Music at the U of T.

For one hour and half he and five others in the Jazz Combo played the music that he has written. No small task to say the least! And it was amazing….our “little Jon McCaslin” is an amazing musician and also a composer! We are not just a little bit proud. But his mom and dad sitting with us (and many of their friends) must have been busting at the seams!

To get to the recital we travelled with the public transit – subway first then the street cars. It has been a while. It was busy and it was packed. It is jerky at times and moves at the speed of light – the subway at least… and the old street car is slow and gentle almost like an elephant ride in Thailand.

Now to the fun part. At the busy times on these vehicles there are no seats. They are usually filled with people from the previous stops with sore feet and tired bodies. Many are sleeping or nodding off.

As Alida and I got on to the crowded Street Car we had to push through the crowd. We were able to get to about the first three seats before the crowd was to thick to go further. That took some pushing and grunting to get that far.

It was then that my wife felt the first “wave of old”. A young lady about 25 years old quickly stood up and motioned for her to sit down. Alida said, “No, its okay..” But the young lady insisted. The seat was open with four others eyeing it. Alida sat quietly not saying anything but, “Thank you…”

When we got off the Street Car she turned and said, “I have never had that happen before!” I told her that the grey hair helps!

Then it happened to me. Not so funny! Old ladies on Street Cars are helped– old men don’t need it – not me anyway! The other young lady was kind to me also. Sheesh!

The Street Car Jerked a little and a younger hand reached out for the old codger standing near me to steady him on his feet. Then I felt someone holding my arm as well…so I wouldn’t fall.

I wanted to shout, “The Grey Hair I have is a premature GREY…I am not that old!” but I didn’t. I said thank you. The young person’s smile was kindly.

Old People on the Street Car have an advantage. My feet were sore and my legs were numb from walking. Old is better today than yesterday!

As I watched Jon on stage last night doing an absolutely amazing job as a musician tears came to my eyes. I was there in a Winnipeg hospital just after he arrived. He was a little tiny boy baby that made some noise when he was hungry.

Today he is a refined musician that is turning his world upside down.

When he came over at the end of the concert and gave both of us a big hug… there were big arms around me. As he hugged his aunt Alida – he said, “Thanks for coming!” Two little people in front of him beamed from ear to ear!

I am coming to like being old! And travelling with the older lady on a Street Car has some good advantages.

~ Pastor Murray Lincoln ~

1 Comments:

  • LOL..no comment...:) Oh wait...words of encouragement are coming to me...You are only as old as you feel!....LOL<:) (Alida has grey hair??I never noticed!)

    By Blogger MistiPearl, at 9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home