Murray Lincoln's Desk - # 2 Now See - http://murraylincoln.blogspot.com/

Monday, August 13, 2007

Saying Good Bye to an Old Friend

The Obituary reads….

Murville Edward Thom
September 26, 1924 - August 10, 2007

On Friday, August 10, 2007 at the Oakville-Trafalgar Memorial Hospital. Murv in his 83rd year. Left behind his best friend and loving wife Dorothy of 52 years. Dear father of Wendy, Brenda and her husband Ralph Iannazzo, Gwen, Dodie and her husband Eric Muir, and Tim and his wife Candy. Loving grandfather of Becky and Graydon Hardie, Janna Martin, Cheri, Brandon Uyenaka, Lauren Phillips, Ryan and Chanelle Muir and Michael Thom. Visitation will be held at the Kopriva Taylor Community Funeral Home, 64 Lakeshore Road West, Oakville (one block east of Kerr, 905-844-2600) from 2-4 & 7-9 p.m. Sunday. Funeral Service 1:00 p.m. Monday, August 13, 2007 at Evangel Pentecostal Church, 1450 Rebecca Street, Oakville. Interment Trafalgar Lawn Cemetery. For those who wish, memorial contributions to the Oakville-Trafalgar Memorial Hospital Palliative Care Unit or the Kidney Foundation would be appreciated by the family. Special thanks to the nurses and care givers of O.T.M.H.

I want to stand up and scream, “There is so much more you can say! Murv was my friend and had a great impact on me! Please listen to what I have to say!

Murv and Dorothy lived in Oakville, Ontario. We first met them when we arrived in that small city in 1969. We had been married for two years and had our first baby – Dana. Somewhere in that first year we met Murv and Dorothy at the small church they attended. I was not a church attend-er at that point – in fact I was running from church as fast as I could. I wanted nothing to do with the weird people that attended church. All the weird people that attended church in my past were…well…WEIRD!

When I met Murv and the other men(and people) of the Evangel Pentecostal Church… they were not weird but REAL. They didn’t act like some that had been apart of my home church of long ago…who at times did some weird things. These new people were real. Murv – perhaps was the most REAL, Ordinary, Down to Earth… You know… the kind of guy that lived next door.

I must shorten my story here. It is much to long to tell in a short ‘Blogspot’.

I became a person who began attending church. Murv always greeted me – a strong handshake was always given. Along with that came, “Murray, How are you doing?” That was given with the same ‘Murv Thom’ ring. It never changed all the time that I knew him. On January 9, 2007 and again on June 9, 2007 Murv gave me the very same greeting. That familiar happy ring in his greeting was still there. Along with it was the twinkle in his eye, the big grin and the firm hand shake. You knew that Murv meant what he was saying.

Well on August 10, 2007 Murv received the beginning of his reward. It was that day that his old body was not able to continue any longer. He passed away. It was at that moment that he walked through to the other side to meet his Lord. He is now with Jesus and all the rest that went before him.

Most that know me – know that I have a vivid imagination. I base what I say next on that imagination and also on what I have studied over all these years… On August 10, 2077 Murv Thom was warmly greeted with a firm hand shake, with a twinkle in eye and a big grin...and it was then that he heard, “Murv, How are you doing?! Welcome to your new home!” The speaker in my mind was Jesus…and a long line of Angels that were there to shake his hand and welcome him to his new home.

I imagine again his first words, “Is this ever beautiful…!” I have heard Murv say that about all the places he has seen on all his hunting and fishing trips up North. I have heard him tell me many stories about places he had seen over all these years. Today he has a new, beautiful place to discover.

If I could I would yell with my loudest voice, “Murv, we will take care of Dorothy until she is ready to join you. If I can Murv…I will also be there to help Wendy, Brenda, Gwen, Dodie and Tim… Hey buddy… you did so much for me as a young man… this is the least that I can do for you… See you soon…”

Today I honour an old friend as I attend and take part in this graduation celebration.

Thanks for the memories Murv… thanks so much!

~ Pastor Murray Lincoln ~

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home