Murray Lincoln's Desk - # 2 Now See - http://murraylincoln.blogspot.com/

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Each of us has a spark of life inside of us

Her name is Ryan. As she bent her knees she had a funny look on her face. In front of her Grade 3 class she was about to do something that she had never done before. There is uncertainty. There is the feeling that someone might laugh at her. Then there is the feeling that because she was the only one that was allowed to do it….she has one up on the others.

You can see the response will be good when the cameras and cell phone cameras are activated…and she is the center of all attention.

The choice of my assistant was good again. This young lady was demonstrating the use of a “yoke” for carrying water two centuries ago…in early Ontario. The “yoke” for those that have never lived 2 centuries ago is a section of tree that is hollowed out to fit over your shoulders. From the yoke there are two ropes hanging down on each side to carry the water pails.

The delight of talking to a group of Grade 3 students is one of the highest points in my life. Their eyes shine and sparkle as they catch the idea that you are talking about. In the moments together I take them back to 1842 and they experience what a Carpenter Shop did way back then.

I came across the following statement that helped me to understand the reason that I do what I do as a volunteer at Lang Pioneer Village

“Each of us has a spark of life inside of us, our highest endeavor ought to be to set off that spark in one another.” ~ Kenny Ausubel

There is nothing like working with children. There is something about the sparkle inside of them that comes alive when you share a story of an idea that tweaks that special place in them.

For years I have been trying to share the spark of life inside of me with everyone that I meet. As a minister it is what I do each week. For the past ten years I have worked at attempting to spark older people in our congregation to catch the ideas and then run with it. But they are just not like the Grade 3s that come to Lang Village.

Older people tend to cross their arms across their chest and state with their intent stare – “I just dare you to try to light my fire… I bet you can’t!”

Children are so different. They want to try it. They are not like adults that are afraid to try it….or refuse to try it because they have made up their minds to remain old and stubborn and stationary and sometimes even miserable.

As you may guess I have watched a number of old men that have given their old wives no end of problems. When I step into to help their old wives need help – they are at their wits end. But even my words will not move them.

The spark in me does little good to ignite the old soggy wood in them.

Yikes that may sound dreary to say the least. I really do appreciate the older folks – I just don’t want to be “older” and lose the spark in my own life. I am finding that if I spend too much time with people that throw water on my spark of life – my spark will sputter and even go out.

It is at that moment that I scramble to find a grandson or granddaughter that is ready for some fun with Grandpa….or I go to Lang Pioneer Village to talk with little people.

Someone asked me to tell them why I was a volunteer at the LPV. That is my secret…I need to keep my own spark alive and well.

Now you may be in need of a spark starter experience. My suggestion is make a wise choice. Find someone or some group that is ready to come alive.

Not long ago I sat in the meeting area of a seniors home with an older gentleman. His eyes twinkled and bounced as we talked. He was very much alive. We laughed together and shared a number of ideas. He asked what I thought about the present reports that were flooding the television at that time of the week. It was so neat listening to him share his ideas.

Not far from where we sat another older gentleman sat in his wheel chair. He was yelling at the care worker that was struggling to make him more comfortable. His curses were abusive to her and the rest of us that had to listen.

What a contrast in two people that were less than 10 feet a part physically…but a million miles a part mentally and spiritually.

I made another important decision that day. I knew who I wanted to be like when I grow up. I want to be like the inspiring and gentle one. The old cursing and yelling one is not who I want to be. I want to be in Grade 3 again.

What about you?

~ Pastor Murray Lincoln ~

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home