Murray Lincoln's Desk - # 2 Now See - http://murraylincoln.blogspot.com/

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Age is only a number

"Age is only a number, a cipher for the records. A man can't retire his experience. He must use it. Experience achieves more with less energy and time." ~ Bernard Mannes Baruch ~

I love this quote as I exit my full time ministry at our church. The semi retirement mode is upon me. The long weeks and many hours at times – are now fading and a whole new world is appearing. The new world has people actually asking about my experience and finding value in what the past was in my life.

At the time I was living through the ‘experience’ – I often shuddered and wished that I wasn’t there. Now I am happy that I went through it…and even more happy that I am through it and not back there living it.

I am also delighted for the good experiences too. They are almost as many as the not so good ones. But the good ones left less scars…and torn parts…which are now my medals of honour.

I read the following of Bernard Mannes Baruch….
Born: 1870 ADDied: 1965 AD, at 94 years of age.
1970 - Born 19th of August in Camden, South Carolina.
1897 - He married Annie Griffin.
1889 - Baruch attended in City College of New York.
1923 - Finished LLD in Williams College.
1918-1919 - Served as U.S. War Industries Board.
1918-1919 - Chairman of U.S. War Industries Board.
1941-1945 - Worked for the U.S. Office of War Information.
1946-1947 - He served as UN Official UN Atomic Energy Commission.
1965 - Bernard Mannes Baruch died on 20th of June.

He was only 94 when he died…lived and worked through two world wars and then saw all of the other small wars the world has witnessed.

Reading some things of the man’s life has left me wondering where I fit as well. My experience is rich. I need to pass it on and on and on….

Blogging does that for me. Out of the daily routine I find wonder. Out of the pain and problems come deeper experiences than I ever have had through the years of pleasure before. I wish now that I would have blogged my entire life….

Pondering the wonder of “Experience” and savoring the memories today.

How about you? Have you ever done a “Stock Taking of All Experiences”?

Today as I prepare for my last Sermon at Northview – the flood of experiences are coming back by the millions…where will I start and where ever will I finish? Few people will ever have the wonder of the opportunity that I am being presented with…. WOW!

Age is only a number…. Hmmmm?

~ Pastor Murray Lincoln ~

Famous Quotes from Baruch, Bernard Mannes
  • "During my eighty-seven years I have witnessed a whole succession of technological revolutions. But none of them has done away with the need for character in the individual or the ability to think."
  • "I was eleven, then I was sixteen. Though no honors came my way, those were the lovely years."
  • "Millions saw the apple fall, but Newton was the one who asked why."
  • "If you have made a mistake, cut your losses as quickly as possible."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home