Murray Lincoln's Desk - # 2 Now See - http://murraylincoln.blogspot.com/

Saturday, May 03, 2008

Painting Balling and Canoeing

Two very exciting beginning of summer days have just passed. One was a late afternoon happening with my grandson’s birthday party and the other was a later afternoon happening with three Korean University students and two canoes.

The first one you haven’t read about yet; the second one you have if you read Bruce Lindsay’s posting of April 28 on this Blog.

Both of these happenings were God’s special blessing for me. I needed them and God presented them with joy.

As a pastor of a mature church there is a tendency to be with more mature people all the time. Now granted that I am more mature now too…means that we deal with “more mature” things happening.

Thursday and Friday were anything but “mature” – they were fun.

Begin with Thursday…
I was invited to help drive my grandson’s friends and their dads to Marmora, Ontario – three towns to the east of our city – for my grandson’s 13th Birthday Party. Together they would take part in a Paint Ball War in the bush area just north of the town.

I had no idea of what would be…never having done it before. But now I am so glad that I went and became a little less “Mature” for a short while.

At about 5:00 PM the boys were outfitted with their face masks, gloves, neck protectors, some body armour if they so desired, and their weapons – a powerful, fast loading and firing, 220 feet per second, paint ball gun. Along with them were their dads – young, vibrant, cool, and caring for their sons. Some dads were actually 13 year boys but just a bit older – the others were sent by their wives to make sure that their son didn’t get “killed”.

After they were prepared with the outfit and the ‘rules’ of killing – they were led into the bush to begin the ‘war’. The excitement was high.

One dad walking with me confided, “I hope I don’t start crying when I get hit…”, then grinned from ear to ear – but he was serious. We have come to know each other when I attend my grandson’s baseball games over the last few summers.

Two other dads shared their hopes and dreams with me in the van as we drove to the Paint Ball place. Together we came to know each other and the struggles that they have gone through over these last years or so.

(Clifford's photo on the left)

The most powerful part was watching my son-in-law connect with these folks. He knows all the boys by name – as they are in Clifford’s class at school. He knows their dads individually and prays for them and each family. That’s why Bruce paid for the whole evening I am sure. It was an investment in his son and his son’s friends.

I want to pat Bruce on the back at this point – I am so proud of my son-in-law Bruce for reaching out the way he does. You Go Bruce! (My other son-in-law Bill does the same kind of things – but this story isn’t about him...sorry Bill)

There is a new YouTube Video in place now of this night together. The URL address is at the end of this posting – 5 minutes and 33 seconds worth.

On Friday morning Bruce shared more of the stories and family needs that the Paint Ball guys have. Together we now pray for them.

My grandson’s one friend, ‘Connor’ (on the right in the photo), came with the guys. Last year Connor’s dad died. Clifford and Connor walk to school together everyday. It has been a really rough year for this young fellow. On Thursday afternoon Connor experienced a whole bunch of dads that did “dad things” with their sons – and Bruce made sure that Connor came along.

Come with me to Friday…
On Friday afternoon Bruce and I loaded two canoes on to my trailer. Again I was driving for Bruce and his Friday outing. I was not as confident about this outing however… I didn’t have to go along but I was fearful of what could happen.
Bruce was preparing to load two canoes with tents, cooking utensils, food and clothing for three days in Ontario’s wilderness. A full blown canoe and camping experience on his three days off – with three Korean Young adults…who have never been in a Canoe before, never tented before, and have never, ever done the Canadian wilderness before.

Given the fact that hibernation for Canadian Black Bears is just over – the trip into this wilderness area will be an adventure for sure.

The launch of this Canoe trip, Bruce’s instruction and initial guiding techniques are on another YouTube posting given just below the 13th Birthday Party posting below.

Again I say that I am impressed with my son-in-law. He is amazing as he takes on these death defying challenges…Paint Ball Wars first and then the “Original Survivors T.V” series without the TV cameras and T.V. baloney – and for no money! There isn’t a million dollars to win at the end of this trip – only deep respect by three Korean young adults.

As they headed into the rainy sunset last evening I prayed with Bruce and for Bruce as they sat off shore in the canoes.

At 7:00 PM Bruce called on his cell phone that miraculously worked from where they were… they had made the first camp, cooked their first meal and all were delighted with what was taking place. And no Bears so far….

Bruce is excited about his life. He is vibrant and alive with expectations. He is willing to try it and go for the treasured Goal of this season. He will never wait, forget, or not even try – and later regret that he didn’t do it. He goes for the Gold!

Clifford and Emma watch dad and go with dad whenever they can.

If you see ‘proud’ written between these lines – you are right. But it is a healthy pride that should be written ‘admiration’. This is what I used to do also. Now both Bill and Bruce do the same. This father-in-law couldn’t be happier – and that is why I go along.

There is some hesitancy now though – in my ‘mature’ way I have an aversion to being shot by one of those half inch, hard and splattering paint balls. I also have some aches and pains that long paddling and portaging through Canadian wilderness is best enjoyed with a story written by some one like Farley Mowatt.

For these last two days I have watched what Christianity should be like – fun and caring. Thanks Bruce for the example.

~ Pastor Murray Lincoln ~
Alias “Dad”

PS…
No post for two days is too long – some one will wonder if there is something wrong…yikes. There is – my shoulder is killing me, Something to do with a pinched nerve I believe – but who wants to go to the hospital? You wait for three hours for the first stage and then two more to see a doctor – who tells you that you should rest and let it heal. So…? And the rainy day makes it worse… So I apologize for not banging out as many words as usual – it has been hard to type at times… and I have been busy driving people to Paint Ball and Canoeing and just having fun…

For fun see….
Clifford’s 13th Birthday Partyhttp://youtube.com/watch?v=EhjG3vhXzuM
Calvin’s First Canadian Canoe Trip - http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ec2vtju3KSg

1 Comments:

  • Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
    Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home